C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, January 29, 2010

Obama Responds to Gay Marriage Question



Ever the cautious card player, he doesn't actually answer the question directly.  But he does make a direct connection between this passage from last night's address and the "right thing to do" for gay Americans:
We abide by the notion that all are created equal, no matter who you are or what you look like. If you abide by the law, you should be protected by it. If you adhere to our common values, you should be treated no different than anyone else.

I suspected that was an oblique reference to the LGBT community; and now we have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  Though of course, it applies not just to us, but to all Americans.

At least while the Republic lasts.

2 comments:

Stan said...

It's going to take a ruling by the Supreme court to grant us our rights and that's not going to happen with the majority of the justices stacked by the Bush administation with conservatives like Alito and Roberts.
White House sources have stated that a repeal of DADT won't happen this year.

Russ Manley said...

I guess there's no chance some of the conservatives would retire anytime soon . . . wish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails