C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, January 15, 2010

The Fifteen Gayest Cities in America



The Advocate has come up with a list of the gayest towns outside of the megacities; go here to see how each one scored on their admittedly arbitrary point system.

Frankly, I find it very hard to believe that Iowa City is "gayer" than New Orleans, which is the San Francisco of the South.  But then, I've never been to Iowa, so what do I know?
  1. Atlanta, Ga.
  2. Burlington, Vt.
  3. Iowa City, Ia.
  4. Bloomington, Ind.
  5. Madison, Wisc.
  6. New Orleans, La.
  7. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
  8. Portland, Ore.
  9. Austin, Tex.
  10. Seattle, Wash.
  11. Gainesville, Fla.
  12. Asheville, N. C.
  13. Springfield, Mass.
  14. San Diego, Calif.
  15. Albuquerque, N. M.

 Flikr photo:  Steve Hopson

5 comments:

Tom said...

Hi Russ,

Interesting list. I never would have expected Atlanta to be #1. I figured it would be Ft. Lauderdale. And where's Palm Springs?

Having lived most of my life in Iowa, I can vouch for Iowa City. If you're gay and you're going to live in Iowa that's the city to live in. The University of Iowa is there, so it's a very liberal town. It's a very artsy community as well.

Also, you can be married there and have equal rights, which I think trumps 12 of the other cities listed, hands down.

Russ Manley said...

Howdy Tom. That sounds like Austin, home of UT and an island of liberalism in an ocean of conservatism, as it's famously been described.

TomS said...

Russ,
I'm grinning big time! I lived in Iowa City, studying and then working for the University, for nine years.

This was late-'70's early 80's. As that time progressed I did notice a much more relaxed attitude, and the campus always did have a very liberal bent.

The Women's resource and action center has always been strong..in fact, I noticed a much more visible lesbian community there from my first days on campus.

So Heretic Tom, good to connect with a fellow Hawkeye. Russ, you might get a real kick out of Iowa City!

Tom

Ray's Cowboy said...

How about San Franciasco. I agree there. New York, Dallas. New Orleans. Been to Madison. only one bar there, makes you wonder, right??
Ray

Stan said...

having lived in Atlanta for about 10 years I can tell you that you couldn't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a gay person. In any state we all seem to migrate to the larger cities for acceptance and tolerance you don't find in most of rural US.

Related Posts with Thumbnails