C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, January 19, 2009

End of the Nightmare


As I look forward to Obama's inauguration tomorrow, Gerald Ford's words at his swearing-in keep echoing in my mind:

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice but mercy.

As we bind up the internal wounds of Watergate, more painful and more poisonous than those of foreign wars, let us restore the golden rule to our political process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and of hate. . . .

With all the strength and all the good sense I have gained from life, with all the confidence my family, my friends, and my dedicated staff impart to me, and with the good will of countless Americans I have encountered in recent visits to 40 States, I now solemnly reaffirm my promise I made to you last December 6: to uphold the Constitution, to do what is right as God gives me to see the right, and to do the very best I can for America.

God helping me, I will not let you down.

It was not Ford's fate to go down in history as one of the great Presidents; by the time the next election rolled around, the country was more than ready to chuck the Republicans and vote a Democrat into the White House.

But he was what we needed at that unhappy point in time: a strong, solid, steady man, and an honorable one. A sturdy bridge from one era to the next.

We have much greater hopes for Obama, of course, and for the bright future that beckons to us now, as we turn away from the death, destruction, and despotism of the last Presidency.

Obama is fond of quoting Lincoln, as he's already done many times. No doubt he will have some very apt quote from Honest Abe in tomorrow's inaugural address.

But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, or disappointed, if he quoted good old Jerry too:

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. . . .

Damn it, that chokes me up just typing the words.

Good night guys. See you tomorrow - in the ObamaNation!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails