C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

RC Church Blackballs Gay Priest


Father Geoff Farrow, pastor of the Roman Catholic ministry at California State - Fresno, outed himself at Mass last October, refusing to read to his congregation a letter from his bishop supporting Prop 8 and condemning same-sex marriage in that state.

Farrow's bishop promptly suspended him from his post, stripped him of all salary and benefits, and ordered him to have to no contact with his former congregation.

Not content with wrecking Farrow's successful 23-year career in the ministry, the RC hierarchy is continuing to persecute Farrow, who last month was the top applicant for the job of Executive Director of CLUE-LA, an interfaith association of religious leaders promoting economic justice for the working poor. Two days before his final interview, however, the RC Archdiocese of Los Angeles called CLUE and intimidated them into denying Farrow a job by threating to disaffiliate from them.

This is the same hierarchy, you remember, that aligned itself with the Mormons and evangelicals to pass Prop 8. Many millions of dollars were spent on that campaign; but Fr. Geoff has no job, and won't be allowed to have one if the hierarchy has its way. He has no money to fight it with a lawsuit.

Sure sounds like persecution to me. And that sucks the big one. Some religious leaders are just way too high and mighty, and need to be taken down a notch if you ask me. This a republic - not a theocracy. Some people don't understand that, though.

Read Fr. Geoff's blog here:

I must say that I have received first a command and then, “warnings” not to publish, not to speak with the media, and not to make public appearances. I am in a “David and Goliath” scenario with powerful churchmen who have the staff and vast wealth of the institution at their command. I was effectively blackballed by the Archdiocese from obtaining the position at CLUE-LA and I am aware that the hierarchy may try this and other means to attempt to intimidate me into silence. It is the basic civil right for freedom of speech that is at stake here for both myself and the reader.

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

Well, Vindictive IS one of the fruit of the Spirit after all.

Still clinging on in there though.

Russ Manley said...

Blessed are the persecuted . . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails