C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Movie Review: Ray

Available from TLA video.

Okay, so we're a little behind the times out here on the prairie. Never saw this movie before but found it on the bargain rack at wally world this week (along with other relatively recent hits like Brokeback Mountain, but I already have that).

What can I say? It's a great movie that more than does justice to one of the all-time greats of American music. Jamie Foxx is Ray Charles. If you've never seen this movie, get it, you won't be sorry. Along with some fine, fine music, the performances by all the cast are superb, and the commentary track by director Taylor Hackford is fascinating. A few historical inaccuracies, which you expect from Hollywood, but nothing that gets in the way of the story.

5 stars out of 5 from your Head Trucker.

BTW - I did not know before now that Ray Charles fathered 12 children by 10 different women. Now I'm not passing judgment on that here; he left them each a million dollars, so I guess he did right by them.

But how come we've never heard the Religious Right thunder forth and condemn this rather egregious violation of "traditional family values," hmm? Or did I miss that memo?

How come it's only teh gayz sexuality that is destroying the American family, bringing the wrath of God down upon the nation, yada yada yada, eh? How come straight sexuality gets a pass every time from the religioso crowd - I'm thinking of a certain couple of unwed teen parents in the far north - but ours is oh so terrible, awful, ungodly? Puh-lease.

2 comments:

Ultra Dave said...

I have often wondered the same thing. I think maybe they are blinded by their own hyprocrisy. Or they are just seriously stupid.

Russ Manley said...

You left out hypocritical . . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails