C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, January 19, 2009

Video: Robinson's Prayer

Somebody caught most of Robinson's invocation yesterday on video, so here you go.

Suck it, HBO.


(Big ol' honk to Joe.My.God. for finding this)

Update: Joe and others are reporting that HBO is blaming Obama's transition team for the "scheduling problem" with Robinson's prayer, saying it was their idea. Do you believe that?

Update 2: Pam Spaulding has gotten a statement from the inaugural committee, pointing the finger back at HBO:


"We had always intended and planned for Rt. Rev. Robinson's invocation to be included in the televised portion of yesterday's program. We regret the error in executing this plan - but are gratified that hundreds of thousands of people who gathered on the mall heard his eloquent prayer for our nation that was a fitting start to our event," said PIC communications director Josh Earnest.
Update 3: Michael Jensen of After Elton got this communication from HBO:

"It was not an HBO omission. We merely televised the show beginning at 2:30pm. Had the PIC told us upfront that this was to be part of the telecast, it would have been."

HBO has also given PIC permission to post Rev. Robinson's prayer on their website, but we're waiting for word when that will happen.

As for the people helming Obama's PIC, their claim that this was simply a miscommunication and that Robinson's prayer was meant to be included is impossible to verify. The only thing for certain is that they have stepped in it again and made many in the gay community (and some in the straight community) ever more skeptical of this administration's attitude toward gay people.

For what it's worth, I still don't think Obama is trying hide his gay constituency from the rest of America or to throw us under the bus. He included the GLBT community in his acceptance speech for the Democratic nomination and again when he addressed crowds yesterday in D.C.

Do I disagree with his selection of Rick Warren to deliver tomorrow's invocation? Absolutely. Do I think somebody in the PIC blew the coverage of Robinson's invocation? Again, absolutely. But for me the jury is still out as to whether Obama will come through on the issues that really matter to our community.

Update 4: Rachel Maddow covers the story:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails