C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday Drive: In the Bleak Midwinter


Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall I draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Isaiah 12 - a passage that has brought your Head Trucker through many a dark night, and many a lonely, fearsome time.


In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.

Enough for Him, whom Cherubim
Worship night and day
A breast full of milk
And a manger full of hay.
Enough for Him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
which adore.

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him —
Give my heart.

4 comments:

BobinCT said...

This is so beautiful, its my favorite Christmas carol and has gotten me through some bleak Christmases, thanks for posting.

Bob

Russ Manley said...

Glad you like, Bob. Thanks for the feedback, have a good one.

Ralph said...

This is one of my favorite carols. It was beautiful played. It would be beautiful also to hear sung by an English choral group, say the Choir of men and boys at King's College, Cambridge. Anyway, the slide show was beautiful to watch, and thanks so much for printing the words.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome, Ralph, glad you enjoyed. I'd heard the tune but never knew the words myself. There are a bunch of those English choir versions on YouTube; but this one struck me as being unusual and poignant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails