C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, December 28, 2009

Eighty-sixed!

From HuffPo via Joe.My.God. - a list of things made obsolete in the past decade:
  • hand-written letters
  • the Yellow Pages
  • dial-up
  • landlines
  • CDs
  • classified print ads
  • encyclopedias
  • catalogs
  • film cameras
  • fax machines
Anything you'd add to the list, guys?

The Yellow Pages is still very handy here in a small town.  And once in a while I buy a CD, but I'm getting around to buying music online.  Have to tell you, it's an odd feeling when I think about it - owning a song but no physical disc that it belongs to.  Strange.

This thought comes from a man who still has about 200 LP's sitting in boxes.  All that great music - I can't just throw it away, even if I don't have a record player to play them on.

And I'm not even going to tell you about my 8-track collection. . . .

5 comments:

Stan said...

I've got tons of cassette tapes still laying around that I need to get rid of. I never had many 8 tracks. I really like buying my music online. Saves so much time. I can remember seaching record stores forever trying to find a single or an album. I don't miss that at all.

Gary said...

I would add paper checks and postage stamps to the list, although I still use them on rare occasion to pay a bill if it can't be done electronically. The paper junk mail certainly hasn't slowed down, though!

I still have quite a few old cassettes. My 8-track collection was very limited, so I got rid of it a long time ago. I used to have lots of LP's too, but through my many uprootings back in the '70's, they didn't survive.

A friend of mine recently bought a USB turntable. She is going to convert all of her old LP's to MP3 files. I don't know what the turntable cost, but it sounds like a good way to preserve some old albums.

Also, I just got a very cool CD for Christmas of Rachmaninoff playing his own piano compositions back in 1915. The technology has evolved to the point of making it possible to take very early recordings and remaster them into very listenable material that sounds exactly the way the original live performance did, but without the scratchy-record sound. They call it "re-performance." Un-friggin-believable!!! I'll put the details up on my blog soon.

Doorman-Priest said...

Democracy.

Russ Manley said...

Yeah I'd like to hear that Gary. I did just see a few weeks ago a catalog that had an LP=to-digital turnable; and it cost only about a hundred bucks or so. I should get one of those.

Anonymous said...

Russ, there is free software now that will convert anything you play (online) to an MP3. I have a link but have not used it yet.

Doorman....HA!
good one. I agree.
Welcome to your corporate future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails