C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, November 15, 2009

Of Shepherds and Sheep

Truckbuddy Sebastian over at Suffer the Arrows has a great post today on recent events in the nation's capital:

The Archdiocese of Washington has announced that if the DC city council enacts the proposed civil marriage law that would permit marriage between same sex couples, that the archdiocese will terminate all contracts with the city because it would be obliged then under the law to offer spousal insurance and other benefits to same sex spouses for those who work in Catholic Charities and other Church entities that receive city money.

This is completely disingenuous, for four reasons.

First, if the Church believes that it ought not provide spousal insurance and other benefits to those employees who are married outside the Church, then why does it currently offer such benefits to those who are in non-sacramental marriages. For example, a Catholic Charities employee who is divorced and has remarried civilly is entitled to full spousal benefits for his or her spouse who are legally married, but whose marriage is not recognized by the Church. Why a different standard for gays than for straight couples? . . .
Go read the rest of it, his points are all dead center on the target.  He knows what he's talking about - he's a Catholic priest.

3 comments:

Sebastian said...

Russ, thanks for mentioning me. I appreciate it buddy.

Russ Manley said...

No problem man, always enjoy reading your blog.

Doorman-Priest said...

Sulking is such an unattractive quality.

Related Posts with Thumbnails