C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, January 11, 2009

These Eyes

What young people don't know - and I certainly didn't when I was a young buck - is that after a certain point in life, the body keeps on aging, but inside you still feel just like you did in your prime. Say, 30 to 35. Your self-image defaults to that picture of yourself, unless you consciously correct it.

Or the body won't do what it used to do. (Yeah, that too. Shit.)

And sometimes if the light is right, and I'm far enough away from the mirror, I glance at my reflection and think, "Well yeah you could be 35. Almost."

But then I blink and look closer. Damn. The eyes give it all away. The wrinkles, the bags, the bumps, the little age spots. (What the fuck?)

And this is a good (read blurry) picture. The reality is even more corrugated than you see here.

Oh well. Think I read somewhere once that wrinkles are the price you pay for living your life. Guess it's not such a bad deal after all.

But as I see it, youth is most definitely wasted on the young. If only I knew then what I know now.

Life is for joy, not sorrow. Enjoy it while you can.

7 comments:

Ultra Dave said...

I once read that wrinkles are the footprints where smiles use to be. I can live with that.

Kevin said...

Well spoken, Russ.

larry said...

great russ. i couldn't have said it better...

Ray's Cowboy said...

Russ as I have told everyone. Age is lke a bottle of wine, you get better with age and more expensive. There is a movie called Mame with Rosalind Russell; it is true to heart. Life is a buffet and half the poor suckers are starving. Enjoy ikfe and make the best out of it.
Ray

rptrcub said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sebastian said...

Someone once said that when you are very young, you have the face given to you by nature. By the time you are 40, you have the face you have earned. The faces of the young are easy on the eyes. The faces of those of us who are older have character.

David said...

Youth IS wasted on the young. I've always preferred a man with a bit of mileage on him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails