C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lovelight: Unchained Melody

The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness. . . .
Freedom. That was a major theme in the President's Inaugural Address this week, and so the beautiful Unchained Melody seems a fitting choice for this Sunday night's music. For freedom means unchained . . . .

Yeah, I know, all the couples in this video are straight; but I'm presenting it anyway, in honor of our new President and First Lady, both of whom are self-avowed, openly practicing heterosexuals. I have no problem with that, I'm not prejudiced - why, some of my best friends are into that lifestyle, doesn't bother me a bit; and isn't it great to live in a country where everybody can be who they really are, and love whomever they please?

You may remember the Righteous Brothers' famous version of this, which is a favorite of mine. But here is the band Heart doing a live version that is out of this world. I had this on an LP back in the day, and I played the wires off of it. Hope you're sitting down when you listen to it, boys, because it's a thriller. When the incomparable Ann Wilson hits those high notes, I still get shivers going right down my spine.

This past week has been a real thriller too, something I'll never forget. Once more the old, old song goes out across meadow, prairie, and mountain, and freedom rings clear and true in the hearts of Americans. So from Texas, good night and God bless to all my buddies across the nation and around the world. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Ultra Dave said...

One of my favorite songs! I want it on my playlist for my wedding (as soon as a find a man, of course)

Russ Manley said...

Um yeah, there is that one little drawback . . . lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails