C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, May 3, 2009

Obama: Blowing Off the Gays?

Tomorrow it will be six months since Election Day. I haven't forgotten the emotion, and the hope I felt when Obama said I will be a fierce advocate for gay and lesbian Americans. Remember how he talked during the campaign?

And remember Obama's open letter to the gay community?

I will never compromise on my commitment to equal rights for all LGBT Americans.

But time is passing, and what is the big man doing for us? Longtime activist David Mixner asks the pertinent question:
How much longer do we give him the benefit of the doubt on LGBT issues and when do we speak strongly out? There has been no visible public movement on repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" nor any action on repealing "DOMA". The president is against marriage equality although the recent Washington Post poll showed that now 49% of Americans support marriage and a huge majority in the Democratic Party supports marriage. In fact, there appears to be very little visibility of issues of concern to the LGBT community.
What do you think, guys? Is Obama living up to his promises to the gay community - or not? Has he done any more for us than McCain would have?

Should we cut him some slack, or get in his face about these things?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails