C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, May 8, 2009

Army Trashes Gay Officer, Iraq Veteran

What has "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" done to this country's military? At a time when we are fighting two wars, and human resources are stretched to the breaking point, 12,500 soldiers, sailors, and airmen have been discharged in this decade for being gay: your tax dollars at work. All are highly trained and skilled, and many are Arabic linguists, a critical specialty.

Rachel Maddow interviewed West Point graduate Lt. Daniel Choi last night, who has now been discharged for coming out on a previous Maddow segment:

Wolf Blitzer asks what President Obama is doing and should do about this situation, and other gay-rights topics, and gets answers from Washington political operatives:



As I've said before, I understand the need for a certain amount of political caution and good timing; but the fact remains that every day, lives are being affected, people are being harmed, by senseless laws and the lack of equal justice and dignity.

Gay rights is not the only pressing issue on the nation's agenda; but it is one of them. This is our time; and it's past time for both Congress and the President to do the right thing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails