C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Please Do Not Fire Me

So just how fucking long is this stupid shit going to continue? Lt. Dan Choi has written an open letter to the President, as Rachel Maddow reports:

Compare the current President's silence on DADT with Truman's executive order ending segregation in the U.S. military.

How strange that we now have a black man as President, whose parents' marriage at the time he was born was strictly illegal in Texas and all the other Southern states; and who, had he been around during World War II, could never have served alongside white soldiers in our military; and yet he sure seems to be dragging his feet on equality for gay soldiers. WTF?

When Southerners in Congress questioned his civil-rights stand, Truman told them:

Whatever my inclination as a native of Missouri might have been, as President, I know this is bad. I shall fight to end evil like this.

Another time, Truman said:

You know that being an American is more than a matter of where your parents came from. It is a belief that all men are created free and equal and that everyone deserves an even break.

Mr. Obama, are you listening?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails