C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Art Racket

If you were rich enough to pay $6 million for a painting, would you spend it on this monstrosity? Sorry, but it's just too sick and ugly to post on my blog.

And that was the price somebody paid twenty years ago; who knows what it would bring now. Barnum was like, soooo right: there's a sucker born every minute.

And there's lots of them in the art world. What a racket.

Especially when there are so many lovely things that nobody has ever heard of, and unknown artists who bloom and vanish without much attention from the world.

If I was rich as Brad Pitt, with wheelbarrows full of dough sitting all over the house, I might - but only just might, mind you - be tempted to spend that kind of cash on something enduringly lovely and mystical and thought-provoking like this:


Star Gazer by
Agnes Pelton

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails