C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day: Some Gave All

Regardless of politics, it is only right that we today remember with grateful respect the multitude of men and women who, from the founding of the Republic, have given their lives in the service of this country, as Billy Ray Cyrus reminds us:

President Obama to the graduates of the United States Military Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, Friday, May 22, 2009:
And today, this is the promise I make to you. It's a promise that as long as I am your Commander-in-Chief, I will only send you into harm's way when it is absolutely necessary, and with the strategy and the well-defined goals, the equipment and the support that you need to get the job done. This includes the job of bringing the Iraq war to a responsible end and pursuing a new comprehensive strategy to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al Qaeda and its allies in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

And to get you the support you need, we're enlisting all elements of our national power - our diplomacy and development, our economic might and our moral suasion - so that you and the rest of our military do not bear the burden of our security alone.
And this, on this responsibilities he shares with the graduates:
Indeed, midshipmen and Presidents swear a similar oath, not only to protect and defend the American people, but [also] the Constitution of the United States.

Yesterday I visited the National Archives and the halls that holds our Constitution, our Declaration of Independence, and our Bill of Rights. I went there because, as our national debate on how to deal with the security challenge that we face proceeds, we must remember this enduring truth: The values and ideals in those documents are not simply words written into aging parchment, they are the bedrock of our liberty and our security. We uphold our fundamental principles and values not just because we choose to, but because we swear to; not because they feel good, but because they help keep us safe and keep us true to who we are.

Because when America strays from our values, it not only undermines the rule of law, it alienates us from our allies, it energizes our adversaries, and it endangers our national security and the lives of our troops. So as Americans, we reject the false choice between our security and our ideals. We can and we must and we will protect both.

You boys have a good one, I'm taking a little road trip to see some kinfolks. Catch up with you later in the week.

P.S. - keep an ear out for the big ruling from the CA Supreme Court tomorrow at noon Texas time. I suspect they will keep existing same-sex marriages legal, but otherwise uphold Prop 8. Either way, you can believe there will be lots of hooting and hollering, I'll blog about it when I get back to town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How the HECK do I subscribe to yer blog-site?

Hugs buddy

Ron aka Buckaron

Ray's Cowboy said...

Well calf said no more marriage, Sorry Russ you can not marry me now, but the ones that are already marry stay marry. There is still hope.
Ray

Related Posts with Thumbnails