C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, November 15, 2008

WTF: The Invisible Gays - again

On this historic day, when the whole queer community in this nation is protesting from shore to shore, all at the same time, in an unprecedented way, here is how two of the nation's biggest mainstream media web sites reported it. Screenshots taken by me about 2 p.m. CST today:

One small spot on the CNN page, which story contained a link to this other story in great big letters on the Time magazine site:

So. What is the subtext, the suggestion given by these two pieces? Two things, I think:

A) Teh gayz are a tiny, inconsequential bunch worth only a very brief mention, and

B) THEY'RE SCARY AS HELL, YOU COULD BE NEXT!

Hmmm. Seems to me we need to hold these MSM outlets accountable for fair and balanced coverage. I suspect that the Time-CNN combo is run by a bunch of Republican bigots; but that's just a guess, I don't know for sure.

Still, this is America, right? I know there are lots of other important news topics that need to be reported today, all around the country and the world. But dammit, our protests, our struggle, our civil rights, our families are bloody well important also.

I remember vividly watching the coverage of the civil rights struggle back in the 60's - the MSM always had a lot to say about those protests.

We need to demand better coverage, better reporting of our cause. As Olbermann put it so briefly and brilliantly in his equal marriage essay this week: "Just because this is the only world we have and the other guy counts too.” (Emphasis mine.)

The same goes for all mistreated groups, not just us; but this is our moment, our time, our demand for justice and equal rights. No one's going to hand it to us for free, guys.

Write some letters, post comments, make your voice heard by the MSM. Demand that national LGBT groups also turn up the heat. Remember this: it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails