C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering One Million LGBT Veterans

From Frontlines, the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network blog, by Paula Neira:


Through the years, the men and women of our Armed Forces have preserved the freedom and liberty that was so hard won by our Patriot forefathers. In that time our nation and our military have evolved because we have repeatedly had "new births of freedom" bought and paid for by the sacrifices of those in uniform - all of those who wore the uniform. The military has benefited from these rebirths. Now African-Americans serve throughout the forces rather than being relegated to support billets and segregated units. Women fly tactical aircraft and command warships rather than be restricted to administrative duties. Our current force is the best in history because of this evolution. But the force can be even stronger.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" undermines our military and denigrates the sacrifices of the 65, 000 gay and lesbian patriots currently serving. As I reflect upon the contributions of our men and women in uniform this Veterans Day, I think of the 1 million gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender veterans who have served. And I also think of those dedicated, experienced, battle-hardened warriors who are thrown out of the military simply because of their sexual orientation.

Keeping the faith with our forefathers demands we ensure that freedom, liberty and equality apply to all, especially to those who serve in defense of these ideals. Keeping the faith demands that we repeal this law to allow America and our military to further evolve and become stronger. It is long past time for another rebirth of freedom. It is long past time we honor all our vets.



Honor ALL the veterans who have served our country. Go tell Congress to overturn DADT.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails