C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I Wept Last Night

I.

II.
The Advocate: Obama Makes History in Shout Out to Gays

President-Elect Barack Obama became the first to mention gays in his acceptance speech last night, . . .

It’s the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled – Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America," he said Tuesday night before a crowd of more than 100,000 at Chicago's Grant Park.

It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America. . . .

[This victory] proved that more than two centuries later, a government of the people, by the people and for the people has not perished from this Earth. . . .

. . . tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope. . . .

This is our moment. This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can.

Watch CBS Videos Online

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails