C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, November 7, 2008

Texas Redneck Racism: FAIL

Good news from Longhorns territory, via Outsports.com:
University of Texas backup center Buck Burnette was kicked off the team by Coach Mack Brown after he posted this message on his Facebook page:

“all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse”

The message appeared the day after President-elect Obama's victory on Tuesday. Cheers to Coach Brown for doing the right thing, and swiftly.

According to News 8 Austin, Buck's daddy says it was just a text message from one of Buck's hunting buddies. Right. Isn't that always what parents say, whether it's a racial epithet or a mass murder--Oh, my child would never do such a thing--eh?

But for what it's worth, here's an excerpt from the apology Buck posted on his Facebook page, after the racial slur became known across the nation (the page has since been taken down):

I sinned against man and God posting what I did. That statement breeds hate and it was never my intention to cause those controversial feelings. The people who know me and know my heart will know this to be true. I have received tremendous support from both black and white players on my team and for that I am truly grateful. For those that remain offended, I hope that over time you will be able to forgive me.

What I wrote on Facebook was a horrible immature mistake. I have no racial feelings towards anyone especially the President Elect of the United States of America. I am proud to call myself an American and I look forward to the progress that President Obama will bring to the people of this great nation. I wish and pray for President Obama to have tremendous success as our president.

I hope that was sincere, not just CYA. He's only 21; let's hope he's learned a big, deep lesson here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails