C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, July 9, 2011

Time and Again



Socrates:
For I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons and your properties, but first and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue come money and every other good of man, public as well as private. . . . The unexamined life is not worth living.

Buddha:
One should seek for others the happiness one desires for himself. . . . Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

Confucius:
Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.

Micah:
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Hillel:
That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.

Mohammed:
As you would have people do to you, do to them; and what you dislike to be done to you, don't do to them.

Jesus:
And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. . . . Love your neighbor as yourself.

Rupert Murdoch:
The News of the World phone hacking scandal, which has heaped such disgrace not just on the paper but on Murdoch himself, making him the object of an entire nation’s disgust and anger, is at once inexplicable and predictable. On the one hand, reporters who work at pressure-packed scandal sheets quickly become inured to crossing lines and destroying lives; it’s what they do. On the other hand, it’s still hard to believe that not a single reporter or editor at The News of the World had the sense to realize that tapping into the cellphone of a murdered teenager was deeply wrong — no matter how many great scoops resulted. That, however, appears to be the case. The Murdoch culture had stripped them of their conscience. . . .

Most people outgrow their twentysomething selves. As they age, they realize that the impulses and excitements of youth need to be tempered with the judgment, empathy and caution that come with maturity. They get a better feel for the lines that ought not to be crossed. Journalists, in particular, learn that there are stories that ought not to be pursued. Not every scoop is worth it.

Murdoch’s essential problem is that he never grew up. His instincts as a journalist are the same as when he was 22. “I love competition,” he said at the end of that Esquire interview. “And I want to win.”

A little too much, it turns out.

(--Joe Nocera in the New York Times)

2 comments:

Stan said...

I wish the same fate on Fox News.

MommieDammit said...

Hi there, Russ. I've been following your blog for a couple of years - sort of a "simpatico" thing as I am also a truck-driving gay man stuck in a heinous red state... Misery... um... Missouri. Yeah, that one. And don't tell anybody, but I was born and raised in Nebraska. Gives the term Nebraska Cornholers a whole new meaning, doesn't it.

In any event, I have another quotation for your list on this article. It's called The Law of The Trine, and is a central tenet of those like myself who follow the Old Path.

Whatsoever ye do, be it good or be it evil, shall be returned unto you threefold.

There is a similar tenet in the Wiccan faith.

An ye harm none, do as ye will.

Personally, as a druid, I follow both tenets with all the faith I can muster.

Related Posts with Thumbnails