C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sweethearts of the Rodeo



The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge concluded their North American tour on Sunday, which by all accounts was a great success everywhere they went. I have watched several news videos of them greeting the crowds, and I was struck by how unaffected and sincere they were, enthusiastically chatting, smiling, and joking easily with everyone from toddlers to nonagenarians. Kate, with her husband not far behind, often went along shaking hands for a quarter of an hour at a time like an old pro, not a hint of hesitation or nervousness. Ditto for her husband, who of course has had much more experience at it. It was almost as if they were running for office, I thought - and in a way, I suppose they are.

The kids are all right. And their down-to-earth style on this first major test of their poise and endurance seems to have endeared them to everyone high and low, from First Nations people in the far Arctic to the superstars and sophisticates of Hollywood. Good for them; it augurs well for their future together, and I'm sure Grandmother back home, who will be celebrating her Diamond Jubilee next year, was very pleased.

Kate knocked 'em dead on the red carpet in Hollywood with this simple, flowing gown. Your Head Trucker is no fashion expert; but this is how a real lady dresses. And if she doesn't quite have Diana's magic, she does at least have a regal posture.

I'm not sure the monarchy will last out the century, to tell you the truth; we have been living through revolutionary times for the last half century or so, and that confused and tangled force is not yet spent. But when the Crown eventually descends to William and Kate, if it does, it will be in good hands - precisely because they give every appearance of being just nice, ordinary, (upper-) middle-class people:  the friendly, sensible couple next door. Good-looking and well-heeled, of course; but not so much so that the crowds can't aspire to imitate their looks or their manners, and to see in them, at least in imagination, the mirror of their best selves. That's the kind of monarchy that is best loved.

And your Head Trucker has to say that Will looked quite good in the cowboy hat they presented him with at the Calgary Stampede - it suits him. He'd make a fine impression down in here in Texas with that, I tell you what.

And this little remark by his wife during the rodeo caught my eye:

The Duchess bit her lip as Scott Schniffer, 31, a former Canadian champion, stayed on for eight seconds before being thrown. "Oh my God! Oh my!" she said.

Then, as Mr Schniffer climbed out of the ring, the Duchess admired his leather chaps and giggled to her husband: "We should get you in a pair of these.”

Hmm. Yes, I'd like to see how he fills out a pair of chaps too. Grin.

H. R. H. arrives at the Calgary Stampede, booted up and rarin' to go.

2 comments:

Craig said...

What a well written post. It's good to see a couple so well suited and so comfortable in their own skin.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, they seem to make a really good couple, and very grounded too - long life and happiness to them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails