C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, November 6, 2009

Fort Worth Cops Get Off Easy


An official apology:  Fort Worth Police Chief Jeff Halstead admits that his officers "violated the trust of the GLBT community" during a bar raid at the Rainbow Lounge last June that was "perceived to be aggressive, rude, and unprofessional" and left one patron hospitalized with a serious head injury.  Although the officers admittedly created an atmostphere of "fear and confusion," yet "It was very clear from this inquiry that there was no malice or ill will on the part of any officers who entered the Rainbow Lounge," he said.

Video of Chief Halstead's remarks and a response from Fairness Fort Worth as well as bar manager Randy Norman here.

Fort Worth Police released the final report of their internal investigation yesterday:  three officers were given a one or three days' unpaid suspension for not following proper procedures.  Norman calls the light disciplinary actions "a joke, a slap on the hand."  Fairness Fort Worth is calling for an independent investigation of the incident, as are city council members Joel Burns and Kathleen Hicks.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, which fired two agents for misconduct during the raid, also released their report (pdf), which nevertheless concluded "no evidence agents used excessive force" although two patrons were injured and six arrested for "public intoxication."

Question:  Is there any other state besides Texas where people are routinely arrested for "intoxication" while in a licensed bar or nightclub?  Because cops barge in and "smell alcohol" on people's breath?  Read the FWPD report (pdf) - I'm not making this up.

How fucked up is this?  Let me know if that happens where you live, guys.

1 comment:

texanrob said...

I lived in Fort Worth several years ago. The Fort Worth police were one of the most anti gay police departments I have ever seen. They would do everything they could do to entrap gay people in sex stings, which I thing should be illegal. They are well know to everyone to be a dishonest, crooked department. Glad I don't live there anymore!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails