C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wodehouse, Anyone?

One of Wodehouse's immortal creations:
Jeeves, the perfect gentleman's gentleman.

Today's tip from your Head Trucker: whenever you feel the world is going to hell in a handbasket, as I do most days, and you need a bit of cheering up, you can do no better than to turn off all electronic squawking devices and settle back with a nice cup of tea and one of the many delightful comedies written by the inimitable P. G. Wodehouse - pronounced Woodhouse - as this BBC documentary makes clear:



In the 1970's, a British series, Wodehouse Playhouse, dramatized a number of his short stories with the superb husband-and-wife acting duo of John Alderton and Pauline Collins (who also appeared in the classic series Upstairs, Downstairs). Your Head Trucker has a set of these shows, which never fail to amuse. Here's one of the funniest: "Portrait of a Disciplinarian."



Other, less funny attempts have been made at dramatizing Wodehouse's comedies, but as a general rule, they are much better read than watched. So go try one, right this minute, and you can thank me later.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails