C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rassurez-vous - Fear Not

On Palm Sunday in Paris, demonstrators of the religious right protesting against the government's same-sex marriage bill give the Fascist salute while singing the Marseillaise; immediately afterwards, they attacked the police, sparking a violent riot.

In the wake of violent protests, gay bashings, and calls from the French rightwing for "blood" and "civil war" if Parliament passes a marriage-equality bill - likely to happen this coming Tuesday - one Frenchman has produced a really beautiful video poem to soothe the fears of the homophobes. He could sure soothe me, anytime - how about you, fellas?

Hint: for English subtitles, click "CC" on the menu bar of the video.



Or read the whole thing, after the jump:



Fear not,
In this debate on marriage equality, no one has lost.
We are all winners.
As we will live better, together.

Fear not,
If I get married tomorrow, you will not become less of a man, or of a woman.
I will simply become the husband of mine.

Fear not,
I am not asking you to not believe in your God anymore.
I am asking you to believe... in us.

Fear not,
Your God will never blame you for dancing, singing, laughing, crying with us
When we say "I do" to each other.

Fear not,
We will not fall in love with every man on the street, no.

Fear not,
We are not just about drugs, alcohol, sex, clubs… no.
We are no more, and no less, than you.
We are as much, as you.

Fear not,
We will not steal anybody's children.
Ours will fly into our lives, like the angels we expected for so long.

Fear not,
My child will not go hit on yours in the sandbox.

Fear not,
I will not be coming to school to pick up my child dressed as Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
And if I did, don't judge a book by its cover.

Fear not,
I will love my child.

Fear not,
I will never prevent my child from loving someone.

Fear not,
If someday, you want to apologize to me,
I will not turn my back to you.

Fear not,
I will accept them.

Fear not,
We will never call for blood.

Fear not, homophobes,
You can do more than violence, physical and verbal.

Fear not, fag bashers.
Someday, when you talk about it with your kids, shamefully,
They will forgive you. Thank to our children.
And that day, we will name you "the faggiven."

Fear not,
I want to start over with you.
I want to rebuild with you.

Fear not,
This is not a threat.
I've been telling you, since the beginning:

Fear not.


3 comments:

Tim said...

Is it me, or is it hard to concentrate on the message?

That first image does not sit well with liberté, égalité, fraternité does it?

Davis said...

A lovely video

Russ Manley said...

I thought so too, Davis.

Tim, I also had a terrible time concentrating on the message for some reason - had to replay the video several times. Wink.

Related Posts with Thumbnails