C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, November 16, 2008

Obama Blows Off the Gays?

Nice ad from last summer, man, appreciated it. But, um, did you just flip us off?

On his transition-team site, the Prez-elect yesterday released the first of his weekly addresses to the nation via web video; but despite yesterday's historic Prop 8 protests from sea to shining sea, he said not one word to or about the gay community. See for yourself:

Hey, I know the man is very, very busy right now. And of course the economic crisis is a lot higher on the priority list at the moment, for very good reasons that affect everyone in the country. But Mr. O., this was a hugely historic day in America: you couldn't spare one word for all your queer supporters?

And since the election, I've not seen or read that he has mentioned or referred to our struggle even once. I also don't think anyone in the MSM has posed a question to him about it.

What gives here? I don't expect him to work any kind of miracle on our behalf; but it would be awfully nice to know that he at least feels our pain, respects our struggle. So why the deep, deep silence? WTF?

To be fair, the following outline of proposals does appear on the transition site, change.gov. The site has more details on each point. Let's hope the new year will see some serious action on all of them.

Support for the LGBT Community: The Obama-Biden Plan

  • Expand Hate Crimes Statutes
  • Fight Workplace Discrimination
  • Support Full Civil Unions and Federal Rights for LGBT Couples
  • Oppose a Constitutional Ban on Same-Sex Marriage
  • Repeal Don't Ask-Don't Tell
  • Expand Adoption Rights
  • Promote AIDS Prevention
  • Empower Women to Prevent HIV/AIDS

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails