C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, November 3, 2008

"Go Rest High on That Mountain": Madelyn Payne Dunham, 1922-2008

From the Texas prairie, my deepest sympathies to Barack Obama and his sister on the loss of their grandmother, Madelyn Payne Dunham, affectionately called "Toot," who loved them, raised them, and went as far down the road of life as she could with them. How ironic, how tragic for her to die on the eve of the election, at the beginning of what will surely be the next and grandest stage of her grandson's life - and perhaps of the life of the nation.

Somehow I am reminded of Dr. King's speech the day before he died so tragically in Memphis:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

"Toot" is up on that mountain now looking down on her boy. Blessings on them both.

On a personal note, she was born the same year as my own mother, now long since gone to her rest. In memory of all those we love but see no longer, I offer a song by Vince Gill:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails