C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rest in Peace: Paul Newman

Legendary movie star hunk Paul Newman has died, leaving behind many wonderful memories of a life well lived, on screen and off.

In addition to supporting many charities and philanthropic organizations in the course of his film career that spanned more than half a century, Newman and wife Joanne Woodward were early supporters of gay rights. In 1971, the couple sent a donation to the fledgling Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance in Washington, D.C.

Some years later, Newman was quoted as saying, "I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant."

In the video clip above of an early screen test, Newman and another legendary actor, James Dean, share a bit of campy humor: "Kiss me." "Can't here."

My condolences to Ms. Woodward and all who loved him.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails