C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, September 15, 2008

"Just say yes" part 2

Billboard beer

As I said in this politically incorrect rant recently, legal marijuana is surely coming in the relatively near future. Now there is a very serious discussion going on, led by dozens of university presidents, no less, that the drinking age be lowered. Or even eliminated altogether!

At least that's what libertarian Will Wilkinson is proposing; and his thoughts are taken seriously enough to be published in a suit-and-tie publication like Forbes.

I do see the merit of his argument; though I doubt that things would work out quite so rosily as he predicts. And I can't see the righteous masses of the red states voting for such a thing anytime soon. Like for the rest of this century. We still have dry counties here in Texas--a direct legacy from the last century's anti-alcohol hysteria. Not that it keeps anyone at all from drinking--it just makes them have to drive a lot farther for it.

Which reminds me of a joke my partner used to love to tell: What do Baptists not recognize? They don't recognize the Pope, they don't recognize the Jews, and they never, ever recognize another Baptist in the liquor store.

But seriously, folks. All you good oh-so-enlightened people out there busily shaping this brave new, oh-so-healthy, oh-so-pure, oh-so-nice world of ours: if you're going to open up pot and booze to anyone who wants to partake, leave me and my Marlboros the hell alone, will ya?

Because if you call the others fine and dandy, and demonize tobacco, you're being utterly hypocritical, and unjust to boot. Cruel, even.

And cut out the bullshit pretense that you don't enjoy at least one of these three on a very regular basis. If not something else that's illegal, immoral, or fattening. I've lived way too long to be fooled by the fake facades people wear in public.

You ain't that good and holy, not nearly, and you know it even if you won't admit it. If you were, you'd be selling your jet ski on eBay because you could walk on water.

So let's live and let live, shall we? Cut the self-righteous, holier-than-thou crap. Life is short; enjoy yours the way you want and let others do the same.

All roads lead to the grave. Think about it.

2 comments:

David said...

Boyfriend would be so happy, and I know I'd be healthier if I'd quit, but...Mmm, Marlboros!

With coffee in the morning, with scotch after work, with coffee again after dinner...

Russ Manley said...

There's two 'afters' when they're best. One is food. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails