C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, September 26, 2008

The First Debate

Well, damned if the Old Man didn't pull it off, after all. In my view, it was McCain, 21-6.

Of course, I'm very disappointed; and somehow in the course of the debate I developed a raging headache.

It's not the words that were spoken. Both candidates were full of names, dates, facts, and figures. Both made cogent arguments and persuasive appeals.

It's not the words. It's the very different feelings the two men brought out in the viewer.

Obama was your very smart brother-in-law who went to college, has a good job, a new car, and a great jazz collection. You enjoy his company, and he can answer just about any question you ever ask. A really good guy, and his heart's in the right place.

But McCain was Dad. Yeah, he's getting up there now, and maybe he's a little behind the times in some ways. You don't always see eye to eye, and you don't visit as often as you should.

But. When trouble happens, when a crisis arises, when the chips are down--it's Dad you turn to. It's Dad who can always make things turn out all right, somehow. It's Dad you trust. It's Dad you love--who loves you. He doesn't have to say the words; you both just know.

That is how I think this debate was felt--not merely heard--by most of Middle America.

Steady at the helm. Experience counts for a hell of a lot, and it showed.

(Damn, I sure wish Hillary had been the nominee now.)

The difference between the candidates, as I've just described it, could be very significant, if the country is endangered in any way between now and Election Day.

And Palin? Oh, if McCain were elected, I've no doubt she would soon discover that her newborn with the special needs really demands all her care and attention; so (in a very slick piece of political choreography), she would do the right, the very, very noble thing, and resign the vice-presidency. Exit, stage right; lots of applause, lots of fond farewell wishes from the press and the public. Enter someone more capable. Done.

That's my impression of tonight's debate. Will be interesting to see what the pundits make of it tomorrow. Right now I feel ill, so good night from Texas.

2 comments:

David said...

You've given me a little bit to think about. I watched and when it was all over I called it a draw.

Russ Manley said...

I felt like McCain came out swinging and kept Obama on the defensive all the way through. I wanted Obama to come back with a knockout punch but seemed to me like he was too reserved. The pundits say Obama won, but I can tell you among some of my Republican kin, he seemed like the young midshipman up against the wise old skipper.

Well we'll see how the other debates go. Can't wait to see Biden maul Palin this Thursday. Though really, all he has to do is stand there and let her talk!

Related Posts with Thumbnails