C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Queer History Online

After that last post, I decided I should also post a link to the excellent glbtq.com, "an encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer culture" - you know, all the stuff they left out of the history books. You should check it out, tons of excellent articles and photographs on all things queer, past and present.

It's important that we claim our own history and heritage, and not let it be deleted from the record ever again. That's one reason, of several, that queer people just don't exist in many straight people's concept of the world - they were never told we existed, and all the evidence that we did was carefully hidden from view. Ours was "the love that dare not speak its name," the "sin too horrible for Christians to mention."

But we are here, we've always been here - and it's way past time to change the way things are taught, don't you think?

And boy, history class sure would have been a lot more interesting if the textbook had had pictures like these, wouldn't it boys?


Paintings by British artist Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929). Click to enlarge.

5 comments:

Frank said...

For some GLBT history see a wonderful documentary "Before Stonewall" (http://www.firstrunfeatures.com/beforestonewalldvd.html). Unfortunately it is not on Hulu or other sites as far as I can determine. It is a powerful portrayal of those who paved the way.

Russ Manley said...

I have seen it via Netflix, and you're right, it's a great film, thanks for bringing that up.

Should be required viewing for the younger generation, who have no memory now of a time when nobody was "out" and there was no gay community to speak of.

It took enormous courage for those guys and gals back in the 50s and 60s to do what they did; something that should be honored and remembered.

Ray's Cowboy said...

Will have to look both of these up. Thank you for the history lesson today.
Hugs
Ray

PS I have told you I am glad you are back?

"Sir" said...

But we are here, we've always been here.

Except in Nigeria and Iran, of course.

Russ Manley said...

That's the official line, but we all know better, don't we . . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails