C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year Brings Progress towards Marriage Equality

A 2010 map of relationship recognition laws in the fifty states:
For an updated map, visit HRC's map page.

This year of grace 2012 began with a handful of couples in two states, Delaware and Hawaii, entering civil unions just after the stroke of midnight last night.  So progress comes in with the New Year, little by little and step by step.  It seems agonizingly slow to us old codgers - who were all of us at one time unconvicted felons, you might say, in the decades before the sodomy laws were struck down in 2003 - but I suppose every little advance is worth the wait. 

A hundred years from now, if the world holds together that long, no doubt future generations of gays and lesbians will take marriage equality as a given, and wonder what all the fuss was about.  Well, that's what we are looking forward to, even if us old geezers don't live to see it.  All good wishes to the happy couples joined today and hereafter.

2 comments:

June Butler said...

It's slow, but we're moving along.

Russ Manley said...

As Moses said to the Children of Israel . . . . Grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails