C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, December 24, 2011

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: The Lion in Winter


If you're going to or from Christmas dinner thinking how dysfunctional your family is, you ain't seen nothing yet.  Check out Steve Hayes's review of the 1968 classic:
In Anthony Harvey's THE LION IN WINTER, Katharine Hepburn won her third Oscar and Peter O'Toole his third nomination, for playing the same character he'd played in BECKETT. Set during a Christmas in the 1100's, King Henry (O'Toole) and his former wife Eleanor Of Aquitaine (Hepburn) , must decide which of their three sons is to be the future King of England. Taken from the award winning play by James Goldman, it features a stellar cast including Timothy Dalton and Anthony Hopkins in his first movie role as Prince Richard. It's a nasty family reunion filled with plots, lies, betrayals and revelations of scandalous secrets to rival those of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? You won't want to miss it for the world! Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Stan said...

I can remember seeing "The Lion in Winter" on the marquis of a movie theatre on the boardwalk in Atlantic City in '68. Never saw the movie until years later.

Russ Manley said...

Me neither, and when I finally did see it, I was surprised at how very "modern" the dialogue and themes were. Pretty bitter characters too, but Hepburn is always fascinating no matter who she plays.

Davis said...

What a great film in every respect. It was an eyeopener to me when I saw it in first run lo these many years!

Related Posts with Thumbnails