C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, May 7, 2023

Sunday Drive: Handel, Zadok the Priest

This stirring anthem is one of four anthems written by Handel for the coronation of King George II in 1727, and has been played at every British coronation since. 

 

The lyrics are based on the Biblical account of King Solomon's anointing, as described at I Kings 1:34-35
Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet 
Anointed Solomon king. 
And all the people rejoiced and said:
God save the King! Long live the King! 
God save the King! May the King live for ever! 
Amen. Hallelujah!
-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

Thank you so much for this I missed much of the coronation and this sacred moment in particular.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome. It was not until I went searching for this piece that I realized I had never heard it in toto as one piece. Magnificent, isn't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails