C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, May 25, 2023

Art Works: Talking Paintings No. 1

 
This handsome face seems startlingly modern, don't you agree?

The first of a series of amusing commentaries by Francois Rousseau, the witty, erudite proprietor of Men Portraits, the link to which can always be found in the sidebar of this blog. This one is about the portrait of Jacopo Boncompagni by Scipio Pulzone, 1574, with some pertinent observations on his braghetta - er, um, that's codpiece to you. 

Alas, the commentary is all in French, but the captions are in English, so give it a try.


-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

Yes a fascinating portrait. I'm often distressed by contemporary filmmaking with "modern" actors who do not possess the beauty of the times they portray. This face is entirely as though it were encountered in everyday life for us, and my head with definitely turn.

Russ Manley said...

Don't get me started on modern filmmaking - all these pouty little girls and clueless boys with deadpan faces. A flat affect shows no sense of *character* let alone the historical period! Do they teach them anything at all in drama school nowadays? I wonder.

Look back at the great actresses of the past - Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Vivien Leigh, Greer Garson, and so many others - they had faces then!

Related Posts with Thumbnails