C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Poets' Corner: I'm Nobody! Who Are You?

Henry Scott Tuke - Boy on a beach, 1901
Boy on a Beach, Henry Scott Tuke, 1901
  

Emily Dickinson

(1830-1886)

I’m Nobody! Who are you?

Are you – Nobody – too?

Then there’s a pair of us!

Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!


How dreary – to be – Somebody!

How public – like a Frog –

To tell one’s name – the livelong June –

To an admiring Bog!

-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

Such great stuff from this gal - fun fact: Always using the common metre, her poems can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, they can also be sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace." I hadn't heard of the Gilligan theme in this context until now, though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails