C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, January 6, 2023

Epiphany 2023: Planet and Comet


Planet and Comet

   for Karl, 1966-2020


I was at the noon of life, you were in midmorning

That June in February when we kissed and fell

In love, too soon for sense, too strong for caution.

But oh, how lovely did the moon smile down on us!

We seemed to dance among the stars, they seemed to reel 

About our heads, and in your eyes I saw reflected

All my own forever dreams; felt your heartbeat thrum

In tune with mine, a summer song – too soon to end.


I watched for your return a long and lonely while.

In time, forsaken passion mellows into quietude

As green leaves turn to gold and rust

And flames die down to embers,

Souvenirs of light and heat and joy

When graybeards huddle by the hearth,

Remembering summer's caressing kiss,

The south wind’s warm embrace.


Comparisons are odious, of course.

We each must walk an unmarked path

Through barren wastes or fields of gold

To gather thorns and roses where we may

And water them with memories.

Who knows but that our found and lost

Are lessons learned to pave the way

For other joys to come: salt water into wine.


The stars swing on, thirty years have gone:

Time out of mind.  I can hardly comprehend, 

Cannot count that high.  It seems absurd,

So many steady rounds about the sun.

Never thought that I would end up here

At this cold, far place, an old man now,

So long removed from dancing days,

Leaning on a cane, shuffling through snow.


And still the music of the spheres plays faintly on

I hear it now and then behind the winter wind . . .

But suddenly you’re here, O my beloved wanderer—

Why this epiphany so late?  Why did we have to wait?

Never mind.  Oh, what a strange, unlooked-for joy!

For one sweet moment to dance the dance again,

To feel again – and know – your summer warmth,

The gravity of your embrace:  a love that knows no end.


Copyright 2023 by Russ Manley.  All rights reserved.




-----
With special thanks to my truckbuddy Frank, who unwittingly gave me the springboard for this poem.

Published on the day of the Full Wolf Moon.
-----
This is post 3 of 4

Post 1    Post 2    Post 4
-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

You write so well. I envy your comfort with the language.

Russ Manley said...

Too kind. A minor, antique, utterly useless talent in this rough, gruff modern age. But the compliment is doubly sweet coming from you, my laconic friend. (I envy your bull's-eye brevity: thwock!)

I would have need of that were I to try relating all that has occurred in these two weeks, things I never thought would come to pass: epiphany, reconciliation, healing, peace, understanding, larger love. Not my own doing. An unexpected act of grace, most truly. I think you will understand my meaning, fellow churchman.

God bless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails