C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Poets' Corner: Wild Nights

Montage from wallpaperflare.com

Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886)

Wild Nights


Wild nights - Wild nights!

Were I with thee

Wild nights should be

Our luxury!


Futile - the winds -

To a Heart in port -

Done with the Compass -

Done with the Chart!


Rowing in Eden -

Ah - the Sea!

Might I but moor - tonight -

In thee!

1861

-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

I have dabbled in poetry from time to time in my life, producing mostly existential verbiage, but when it comes to other's poetry, for some reason, I just yawn.

Russ Manley said...

Well, to each his own. Scott Fitzgerald wrote to his daughter, a budding writer, in the 1930s:

"Poetry is either something that lives like fire inside you - like music to the musician or Marxism to the communist - or else it is nothing, an empty, formalized bore around which pedants can endlessly drone their notes and explanations."

Related Posts with Thumbnails