C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, December 1, 2021

World AIDS Day 2021: 40 Years On

-
 

Dr. Fauci has made a name for himself with a new generation in the fight against Covid-19.  But gay men of my generation have always remembered him as a hero of the fight against HIV/AIDS from the start of the plague, when damn few people in public life had the compassion or the guts to stand up for us, and we owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

News of the plague didn’t reach me and my friends in the Deep South until November of 1981 – forty years ago. I could tell the story of how we dealt with it in my neck of the woods, but as I spent much of the 1980s sequestered for work reasons in a remote small town, living like a monk (mostly), my story is not particularly interesting or eventful.  As with most other things in modern life, the plague as a distinct reality arrived down here several years later than it did on the coasts.  

It was a long time before we really knew what we were up against, and in the meantime there was fear of the unknown to live with. Eventually, having gotten a job in a city, I volunteered to work at a phone bank as an HIV/AIDS counselor for four years, so although I wasn’t on the front lines in a big city, as the era is often portrayed in movies and documentaries, I felt good about doing my small but useful bit in the fight against the plague. 

And of course, as in every war, there were the casualties. Among others, I lost my best friend to the plague; I paid someone to make a quilt with his name on it, which I sent to the National AIDS Quilt and got to see it displayed on the Mall in Washington, D.C., in 1992. That was an overwhelming experience – all those quilts, all those names, all those deaths. Around 1995, I think, the drug cocktail that effectively suppressed HIV was finally found – too late for some, but a miraculous lifesaver for others.

Another thing not always mentioned by reporters is the great support given by many lesbians to gay men who were afflicted – another collective debt of gratitude we owe. Tragic and devastating though it was, the plague in a large way unified the gay and lesbian community across the nation in a fight against a common enemy. And the just-let-them-die attitude of the Reagan Administration certainly raised the political awareness of many:

 

I guess all I want to say is that I lived through the plague years, I mourned my dead, I did my bit, and now it's History, a remote era, something schoolkids skim over in dusty books - a story already told.  Except that there still is no vaccine for HIV, let alone a cure, and I really don't understand why that is.  But the answer is probably over my head anyway. 

You still pays your money and you takes your chances - that's life, isn't it? Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and enjoy every happy moment as if it were your last, because it may never come again. There are no guarantees. That's all I can say. 

-----

4 comments:

Frank said...

Today I am remembering with compassion and love a few friends and co-workers who died of AIDS; men who were instrumental in fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Connecticut back in the 80s. Lives cut short by a dreadful disease that not many people cared about because it mainly was killing gay men. And we still deal with bigotry and hatred whether from our politicians, pastors, celebrities or neighbors.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, the bigotry and hate still go on. Sad.

I forgot to mention in my diatribe about seeing the Quilt displayed in D.C. in 1992. That was an overwhelming experience - I cried the whole time I was there. So many men, so many deaths.

I contributed a quilt for my best friend who died the year before. Not very pretty but a remembrance at least.

Davis said...

Painful and yet beautiful memories of that time period. Longtime Companion was particularly poignant for us.

Russ Manley said...

Even though I lost only three friends - not "hundreds" as I've heard other people from big cities say - that was more than enough grief for me. I get a little emotional remembering those times, so I don't think about them often now. Longtime Companion was beautifully done - the Post-Mortem Beach ending blew me away.

Related Posts with Thumbnails