C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Fact or Fantasy?

 

When asked in a press conference at the White House if climate change caused the devastating outbreak of tornadoes in Kentucky and other states last week, President Biden declined to give an affirmative answer.  However, some pundits on the right and on the left are vigorously asserting or denying the proposition; and it seems to me that a great many ordinary people "just know" that climate change was - or was not - the direct and immediate cause.  But then again, many people have short memories.

I have no expertise in this field, so I cannot say for certain one way or the other; but I do clearly remember other such horrific outbreaks in my own lifetime, in Texas and elsewhere.  For anyone interested in the subject, I recommend taking a thoughtful look at this long Wikipedia List of North American tornadoes and tornado outbreaks, dating back as far as 1657.  Many have indeed happened in December, and at least one on New Year's Day.

My point being, it's always a good idea to get all the facts before you make up your mind about weather or climate change or anything else.  Otherwise, it's just a species of fantasy, isn't it?

-----

3 comments:

Frank said...

The experts are also cautious, often reminding us that many factors are responsible for weather events. While it may be "science" it is not an exact science. While there is more evidence for climate change and it's long term effects (rising sea levels, loss of bio-diversity, etc), individual weather events cannot be directly attributable to climate change.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks for stating that so clearly. Unfortunately, the idea that climate change is directly causing every storm in the world has already passed into popular mythology, and will be exceedingly difficult to erase from the "just know" list.

Davis said...

We want easy answers to everything. I was pleased to hear the president express himself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails