C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, December 9, 2021

What I'm Watching: Lucy Redux



Of course I love Lucy - who doesn't?  I'm not obsessed with her as some people are - I once knew a fellow who had a whole room of his house devoted to Lucy memorabilia.  (I knew another fellow who turned his whole house into a Wizard of Oz wonderland.  It's a gay thing.)  But even after 70 years of reruns - the first I Love Lucy episode was broadcast on October 15, 1951 - I still laugh out loud at all of Lucy's comic turns and jibes, even though I know the routines by heart.  Few other comedians are still quite so funny after so many years have gone by.  A welcome antidote to the all-pervading sour-pussism of the deadly serious modern world.

So I note here a couple of new productions that extend our interest in Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz (without whom there would be no "Lucy") even further.  The first is a podcast on Turner Classic Movies by Ben Mankiewicz, successor to longtime TCM host Robert Osborne.  There have been nine weekly pocasts already and at least one more is yet to come.  You can listen to them for free on TCM, or on YouTube, as of the date of this post.  These are fascinating because TCM has scrounged up numerous never-before-heard sound clips of Lucille, as well as family, friends, and co-workers, talking about her life and career from childhood to old age.

 

And on December 21st comes the debut of Being the Ricardos, an Amazon Prime production starring Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem.  I am always a bit wary of such latter-day reinterpretations, but I will reserve judgment until I've seen it.  Here is the trailer, and a backstage interview with the principal players broadcast a few days ago on CBS Sunday Morning.  Enjoy.

 

P. S. -- A few words from Lucie Arnaz:

-----

4 comments:

Frank said...

I always had mixed feelings about "I Love Lucy" - we watched it as did EVERYONE else and found it comical at times but sometimes too ridiculous to be funny...but I may be unusual in that I don't find a lot of comedy belly-laugh funny. "Being the Ricardos" looks like a serious film, but unfortunately we don't have Amazon Prime and probably won't see it.

Russ Manley said...

I'm not sure we have Amazon Prime video either - the TV technicalities are M.P.'s department. But sooner or later it will surely show up on YouTube. I'm in no hurry to see it. I'll be more interested to see the upcoming Ron Howard documentary about Lucy & Desi - at this late age, facts are more interesting than fiction to me.

Davis said...

Was anyone ever funnier that Lucy?!

Russ Manley said...

No!

Related Posts with Thumbnails