C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, December 10, 2011

Where Things Are Much Worse

No matter how bad things might feel to us here, it's important to think of our gay brothers and sisters in other parts of the world who are enduring terrible things.  From the Christian Science Monitor's report on homophobia in Africa:


A thought just occured to me: the response from some African countries to Secretary Clinton's historic "gay rights are human rights speech" last week reminds me vividly of the response of white Southerners fifty years ago to federal support for the Civil Rights Movement:
Homosexual acts are illegal in most African countries, including key Western allies such as Uganda, Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt and Botswana.

Reacting angrily to Mrs Clinton's speech, Ugandan presidential adviser John Nagenda told the BBC: "That fellow [Mr Cameron] said the same thing. Now this woman [Clinton] is interfering.

"If the Americans think they can tell us what to do, they can go to hell."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails