C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, October 18, 2010

It Gets Better: Spirit Day, October 20

  
From GLAAD :
The idea behind Spirit Day, first created by teenager Brittany McMillan earlier this month, is a simple one, not dissimilar to the idea of "Spirit Week" held in many high schools, and can be summed up in three words: Everyone Rally Together.

Spirit Day honors the teenagers who had taken their own lives in recent weeks. But just as importantly, it's also a way to show the hundreds of thousands of LGBT youth who face the same pressures and bullying, that there is a vast community of people who support them.

Purple symbolizes 'spirit' on the rainbow flag, a symbol for LGBT Pride that was created by Gilbert Baker in 1978.

As one of the event's Facebook pages says: "This event is not a seminar nor is it a rally. There is NO meeting place. All you have to do is wear purple."
There are links on the GLAAD page to purple up your Facebook or Twitter profiles. Whatever those are.  Your Head Trucker ain't into all them newfangled contraptions. Where do you buy a facebook, anyway?  I never see any on the shelf at wally world.  But if ya got one, go purple with it and show your support.

While we're on the subject, a few well known faces speak out for the It Gets Better Project:

Adam Lambert:


Gloria Estefan:


Governor David Paterson of New York:


And a cute, happy young couple - something many of us could hardly believe would ever be possible for us, way back when:



Honk to my truckbuddy Dwight for the Spirit Day image.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails