C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: The Dark Corner




Steve Hayes reviews the 1946 film:
Lucille Ball and Mark Stevens find themselves in a whirlpool of suspense in Henry Hathaway's classic Film Noir, THE DARK CORNER. A Detective (Stevens) knows he's being set up. But what for? By whom? And where can it lead, except of course, to murder? With the help of his faithful "Girl Friday"(Ball), he sets out to unravel the mystery before the cops get to him.

The cast is top notch and so is the acting. Clifton Webb reprises the acid-tongued sophisticate he'd played in LAURA as a sardonic gallery owner with an obsession for his young and beautiful wife. William Bendix, a noir veteran, plays the hired muscle and Kurt Kruegar plays the suave, blond playboy, who's sleeping with the wrong man's wife. The dialogue is snappy, the action is fast paced, the New York locations are spectacular and Ball, Bendix, and especially Webb are at their very best. Everything comes together to make THE DARK CORNER top flight entertainment.

2 comments:

dave said...

That's one this old boy never saw - thanks for the Tired Old Queen - a national treasure.

Russ Manley said...

He certainly is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails