C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, May 28, 2010

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: The Harvey Girls

Steve Hayes serves up his usual fabulous review of the Judy Garland classic, co-starring Angela Lansbury in her youthful glamour along with the woofalicious John Hodiak . . . Grrrrrr.


Here's a high-quality audio recording of "On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe," which was a number one hit for singer-songwriter Johnny Mercer and the Pied Pipers in 1945, and won Mercer an Academy Award for Best Original Song.  It's been a favorite of mine since I was a wee tyke, listening to it over and over again on a little yellow 45 r.p.m. record - does anyone else remember those kiddie 45's made in yellow or red?



Now buddy, if that doesn't make you grin and tap your feet, you are hopelessly hip - and I feel so sorry for you.

History buffs and railfans can read up on the fascinating story of the Harvey Girls and the Santa Fe's Harvey House restaurants here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails