C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, May 22, 2010

Harvey Milk Day

Today marks the first celebration of Harvey Milk Day in California, under a law passed in that state last year; while not a state holiday, public schools will mark the occasion.

Harvey would have turned 80 today; I wonder what he would have to say about the current gay-rights issues and other circumstances of national life here in 2010. He was assassinated in San Francisco on November 27, 1978 - Jimmy Carter was president then, John Paul II had just begun his reign as Pope, and nobody had ever heard of Oprah Winfrey.

And how did I miss this? - last August, President Obama awarded a posthumous Presidential Medal of Freedom to Milk, which was accepted by his nephew, Stuart, shown below.

Obama Honors Sixteen With Congressional Medal Of Freedom

Cleve Jones reflects on Harvey's life and legacy:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails