C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, April 30, 2009

Waterboarding for Jesus

A new poll from the Pew Forum reveals that white evangelicals, and people who attend church at least once a week, are the groups most likely to approve of torturing suspected terrorists. How very, very sad. See the results for yourself:


Comparable percentages of Republicans (15%) and Democrats (12%) believe that the torture of suspected terrorists to gain important information is often justified, but twice as many Republicans as Democrats say torture is sometimes justified (49% vs. 24%). Similarly, while nearly identical percentages of Republicans and Democrats say torture under these circumstances is rarely justified, 38% of Democrats believe the torture of suspected terrorists is never justified, compared with 14% of Republicans.

(Honk to Andrew Sullivan)

4 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I can say for myself. I do not think it is right. My Father who I may say is the up most religious one I know, does not think it is right either. even though he knows I am gay, he excepts me as I am. He has come a long way from his roots.
Ray

Russ Manley said...

That's great, Ray, and a real blessing for you.

Religion ought to make people more compassionate and understanding; but too many people use it as a weapon to beat down everybody else with. If you don't toe the line, to hell with you; we see a lot of that in Texas, don't we.

Doorman-Priest said...

How disturbing is that? Is there a comparable European study?

Russ Manley said...

I dunno DP, would be interesting if there was. But I gather that religious attitudes are looser and church attendance far less in Europe compared to here. I wonder why.

Related Posts with Thumbnails