C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Storm of Lies - and Laughter

First, the oh-so-scary storm warning from the wingnut National Organization for Marriage (quick - hide the children and the dogs before viewing):



Then, the "best parody" of quite a few that have come out in recent days:



Though I also like the straightforward refutation of NOM's lying claims in this video:



And as usual, Rachel Maddow connects all the dots in this goofy picture:



Even better: You have to watch Stephen Colbert's hilarious send-up of the storm ad.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
The Colbert Coalition's Anti-Gay Marriage Ad
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest


And check out Frank Rich's brilliant New York Times piece:

Yet easy to mock as “Gathering Storm” may be, it nonetheless bookmarks a historic turning point in the demise of America’s anti-gay movement.

What gives the ad its symbolic significance is not just that it’s idiotic but that its release was the only loud protest anywhere in America to the news that same-sex marriage had been legalized in Iowa and Vermont. If it advances any message, it’s mainly that homophobic activism is ever more depopulated and isolated as well as brain-dead. . . . . It is justice, not a storm, that is gathering. Only those who have spread the poisons of bigotry and fear have any reason to be afraid.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails