C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, April 18, 2009

Proud to Be an American

From this week's "tea party" tax protest. You realize, of course, the only reason the sign says "Kenyan" is that she didn't think she could get away with the n-word in public?

(Pam's House Blend via Joe.My.God.)


As this picture shows, it's really not about taxes at all; it's about projecting their own ignorant, hardcore fascist beliefs onto someone they hate.

(HuffPo via Joe.My.God.)

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

I don't think either of those would be allowed here. They would break some incitement law.

Russ Manley said...

From reading British papers, I gather that is the case. But we have a much more robust concept and tradition of free speech over here, and I think that's the better way, myself.

Let people talk and spew all they want; at the end of the day, what does it matter, if the equal protection of the laws is rigorously enforced - liberty and justice for *all.*

Apart from personal libels or shouting Fire! in a crowded theater, speech ought to be free, right or wrong. Our Founding Fathers were very firm on this point: they believed truth would crowd out lies in the marketplace of ideas. Sometimes it takes a while, but that does seem to work in the long run.

To legislate otherwise smacks of Thoughcrime, in my view. If I muzzle Johnny today, he may slap a gag on me tomorrow.

Better to let the poisons out, where they will dissipate in the sunshine and fresh air, than keep them hidden and festering.

Related Posts with Thumbnails