C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, August 25, 2024

Sunday Drive: Happy Days Are Here Again

FDR-Campaign-October-24-1932
The original "President of Joy" with wife Eleanor and daughter Anna,
arriving in Warm Springs, Georgia, October 1932
 
The one song I didn't hear played at this week's convention was the one they absolutely should have played - the Democratic theme song since 1932.  Shame on them! The original version:


Barbra Streisand has made the song her own ever since the start of her career; here she sings her version for a fundraiser at her Malibu home in 1986, followed by "America the Beautiful":

 


Bonus: Newreel footage of FDR accepting the nomination at the Democratic Convemtion in Chicago in 1932 at the lowest point of the Great Depression. Delegates had reason to be cheerful about nominating Roosevelt: along with fostering economic reccovery, he was also committed to ending Prohibition (repealing the 18th Amendment). So that was a convention of "hope and joy" too, for more reasons than one.


-----

2 comments:

anonymous said...

FDR, a man crippled by polio who got a great nation, the United Stated, crippled by the Great Depression and uncertainty, back on its feet. :)
-Rj

Russ Manley said...

And on top of that, along with Churchill saved the world from dictatorship. A great man.

Related Posts with Thumbnails